Thank you for visiting FlightAware. FlightAware is committed to honoring the privacy of our members and visitors.
What this policy covers
What information we collect about you and how we use it
When you register for FlightAware and other FlightAware services, we ask you for your name, contact information, preferences, and personal profile information. This information lets us provide personalized services and communicate separately with you. We also use aggregated information about the use of our services to evaluate our users' preferences and improve our products.
Information you provide to us
We collect information about you when you input it into the services we provide or otherwise provide it directly to us.
- Account and Profile Information: We collect information about you when you register for an account, create or modify your profile, set preferences, sign-up for or make purchases.
- Content you provide through our products: You may provide "Squawk" posts, comments on "Squawks," discussion forum posts, photos, or comments on photos. The content includes any information about you that you may choose to include. Content also includes the files and links you upload.
- Information you provide through our support channels: You may choose to submit information regarding a problem you are experiencing or questions about our services.
- Payment Information: We collect certain payment and billing information when you register for certain paid services.
Information we collect automatically when you use our products
We collect information about you when you use our services, including browsing our websites and taking certain actions within the Services.
- Your use of our products: We keep track of certain information about you when you visit and interact with any of our products. This information includes what features you use.
- Device and Connection Information: We collect information about the device(s) that you use to access our products. We also collect information through your device about your operating system, browser type, IP address, URLs of referring/exit pages, device identifiers, and crash data. We use your IP address and/or country preference in order to approximate your location to provide you with a better experience. How much of this information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the products.
Information we receive from other sources
We receive information about you from other service users. We may also receive data from third party services and from our business and channel partners.
- Other users of our products: Other users of our products may provide information about you when they submit content through the products. For example, you may be mentioned by someone else on a "Squawk" comment or discussion forum post.
How we use information we collect
How we use the information we collect depends in part on which products you use, how you use them, and any preferences you have communicated to us. Below are the specific purposes for which we use the information we collect about you.
- For relevant advertisements: We may use your information to display ads that are relevant to you.
- To provide the products and personalize your experience: We use information about you to provide the products to you, including to process transactions with you, authenticate you when you log in, provide customer support, and operate and maintain the products.
- For research and development: We are always looking for ways to make our products better and more useful to you. We use data collected about how users interact with our products and feedback provided directly to us to troubleshoot and to identify trends, usage, activity patterns and areas for integration and improvement.
- To communicate with you: We use your contact information to send transactional communications via e-mail and within our products, including confirming your purchases, reminding you of subscription expirations, responding to your comments, questions and requests, providing customer support, and sending you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and administrative messages. Depending on your settings, we may send you e-mail notifications of certain events, e.g., flight tracking event notifications. You may opt-out of communications via the account preference setting in your profile or via "unsubscribe" links in specific e-mails.
- For safety and security: We use information about you and your use of our products to verify accounts and activity, to monitor suspicious or fraudulent activity and to identify violations of FlightAware policies.
- To protect our legitimate business interests and legal rights: Where required by law or where we believe it is necessary to protect our legal rights, interests and the interests of others, we use information about you in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory, and audit functions, and disclosures in connection with the acquisition, merger or sale of a business.
- With your consent: We use information about you where you have given us consent to do so for a specific purpose not listed above.
How we share information we collect
Sharing with other users
When you use our products, we share certain information about you with other product users.
- For collaboration: You can create content, e.g., "Squawk" posts, photos, or discussion forum posts, which may contain information about you, and you grant permission to others to see, share, edit, copy and download that content.
Sharing with third parties
We share information with third parties that help us operate, provide, improve, integrate, customize, support and market our products.
- Links to Third-Party Sites: Our products may include links that direct you to other web sites or services whose privacy practices may differ from ours. Your use of and any information you submit to any of those third-party sites is governed by their privacy policies, not this one.
- Service: We may share your information with service providers which provide FlightAware with services such as those for financial accounting (for customers of paid services), customer support tools, e-mail marketing, discussion forums, etc.
- With your consent: We share information about you with third parties when you give us specific consent to do so.
- Compliance with Enforcement Requests and Applicable Laws; Enforcement of Our Rights: In exceptional circumstances, we may share information about you with a third party if we believe that sharing is reasonably necessary to (a) comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including to meet national security requirements, (b) enforce our agreements, policies and terms of service, (c) protect the security or integrity of our products and services, (d) protect FlightAware, our customers or the public from harm or illegal activities, or (e) respond to an emergency which we believe in good faith requires us to disclose information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person.
Sharing with affiliated companies
- FlightAware Companies: We share information we have about you with FlightAware corporate affiliates in order to operate and improve products and services and to offer other FlightAware affiliated services to you.
How we store and secure information we collect
Information storage and security
We use data hosting service providers in the United States to host the information we collect, and we use technical measures to secure your data. While we implement safeguards designed to protect your information, no security system is impenetrable and due to the inherent nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that data, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, is absolutely safe from intrusion by others.
How long we keep information
How long we keep information we collect about you depends on the type of information, as described in further detail below. After such time, we will either delete or anonymize your information or, if this is not possible (for example, because the information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your information and isolate it from any further use until deletion is possible.
- Account information: We retain your account information until you delete your account. We also retain some of your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements, to support business operations and to continue to develop and improve our products. Where we retain information for product improvement and development, we take steps to eliminate information that directly identifies you, and we only use the information to uncover collective insights about the use of our products, not to specifically analyze personal characteristics about you.
- Marketing information: If you have elected to receive marketing emails from us, then we retain information about your marketing preferences unless you specifically ask us to delete such information.
How to access and control your information
You have certain choices available to you when it comes to your information. Below is a summary of those choices, how to exercise them and any limitations. We will respond to requests about this within a reasonable timeframe.
You have the right to request a copy of your information, to object to our use of your information, or to request the deletion or restriction of your information. You can exercise some of the choices by logging into the products and using features available in your account. For all other requests, you may contact us as provided in the "Contact Us" section below.
Your request and choices may be limited in certain cases: for example, if fulfilling your request would reveal information about another person, or if you ask to delete information which we are permitted by law or have compelling legitimate interests to keep.
- Access and update your information: Our Services and related documentation give you the ability to access and update certain information about you from within the product. For example, you can update your account information within your account settings and modify content that contains information about you.
- Request that we stop using your information: In some cases, you may ask us to stop accessing, storing, using and otherwise processing your information where you believe we don't have the appropriate rights to do so. For example, if you believe a product account was created for you without your permission or you are no longer an active user, you can request that we delete your account as provided in this policy. Where you gave us consent to use your information for a limited purpose, you can contact us to withdraw that consent, but this will not affect any processing that has already taken place at the time. You can also opt-out of our use of your information for marketing purposes by contacting us, as provided below. When you make such requests, we may need time to investigate and facilitate your request. If there is a delay or dispute as to whether we have the right to continue using your information, we will restrict any further use of your information until the request is honored or the dispute is resolved.
- Opt out of communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us by using the unsubscribe link within each e-mail or by updating your e-mail preferences within the account profile settings. Even after you opt out from receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive transactional messages from us regarding our products. You can opt out of some notification messages in your account settings.
Our policy towards children
Our products are not directed to individuals under 16. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If we become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact our customer support team.
What about the privacy issues with tracking private aircraft?
Please see the privacy section of our FAQ.
Your information is controlled by FlightAware, LLC. If you have questions or concerns about how your information is handled, please direct your inquiry to our corporate https://flightaware.com/about/contact