← Back to Squawk list
United Airlines buys flight training school to build pipeline for 10,000 new pilots over the next decadeThe academy, currently operating as Westwind School of Aeronautics in Phoenix, will be part of a recruiting program United announced last year, called Aviate, that lets pilots join a pipeline to United with a conditional job offer early in their careers rather than waiting until they rise through the ranks at regional carriers or complete military service. (www.chicagotribune.com) More...
Sort type: [Top] [Newest]
It’s always a good idea to read a text before commenting on it. From several of the comments posted here I have to conclude that the commenters did not read the text.
That is the only explanation I can think of for those comments.
GOOD IDEA, this has nothing to do with how the old pilots were and are treated, this is about filling the retired pilots' opening with well trained prospects that they have trained, and yes,the faces won't be lilly white, but a mixture of the best trained pilots, MINORITIES included.
When I'm riding in the back I don't care about the crew being the best trained pilots but only the best pilots. Think of it this way........... all the baseball players on the New York Mets are the "best trained," but we know not all of them are the best hitters.
All i've been trying to say , it it gives United a reliable source , and a continual source of Pilots . I still think it is a great idea , and i bet other Major Carriers are looking at this turn of events to .
It's been done before; just like in trucking. The one thing that will never change is the human equation in all of it. People will go to school and about 80% that actually make it through training and are hired will fullfill their commitment. The other 20% will either decide the airlines aren't the type of flying they want to do or they'll leave for an airline that offers them a crewbase closer to home.