Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
This position is a unique and rare opportunity to work on serious, difficult, and fascinating machine learning problems that have the potential to provide value to an entire industry. You'd be one of the first machine learning engineers at a quickly growing company, and you would have a significant impact on the future of machine learning at FlightAware.
More precisely, FlightAware is looking for a machine learning engineer to bring modern methods to bear against many of the challenging decision making problems that are central to the company's core backend flight tracking software. This software processes over 40 million incoming messages per hour from over 45 individual data feeds (over 150 gigabytes a day and growing) to provide the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry.
Some problems include the computation of landing and takeoff times, taxi times, gate arrival and gate departure times, probabilities of flight delays or cancellations, and more.
- Take end-to-end ownership of machine learning systems from data pipelines and training to real-time prediction engines.
- Identify new opportunities to apply machine learning to different pieces of the FlightAware product spectrum.
- Work with other backend developers to robustly and scalably integrate your work into production systems.
- Develop a deep understanding of FlightAware's data processing infrastructure.
- Detect data quality issues, identify their root causes, develop fixes, refine your models, and design auditing to prevent future issues.
- Act as a full member of a software development team.
- Mentor and teach other developers in the areas of machine learning, statistics, etc. Act as a guide and resident expert on these topics.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, or equivalent experience.
- Several years of industry experience in machine learning or a related field or equivalent academic credentials.
- Strong theoretical and practical grasp of the mathematical foundations of machine learning algorithms.
- Experience in or proven knowledge of deep learning.
- Previous experience building end-to-end machine learning systems.
- Solid core software development skills. This is not just a research position.
- Knowledge of Python or Scala, or the ability to learn them quickly.
- Experience with Spark a plus, but not required.
- Familiarity with Unix and scripting languages.
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies to stay current, but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is a priority.
Being a pilot, or an individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
Salary varies based on experience and background.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. Our kitchen is always stocked with snacks and beverages. You also get to use top-of-the-line Apple computers. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.